Saturday, July 08, 2006

What's with that title?

If you've somehow stumbled upon my Blog, and you're thinking to yourself, "I've never really wanted to know anything about Susan (whoever she is), so why would she choose that for a title?" Well, when I was trying to think of a name for my Blog, I was having a rough time of it. I had a flashback to a time when I was in the 4th grade (at the wonderful Forman Elementary in Plano, Texas - go Falcons!), and we had to write an autobiography. At that time, I was having an equally difficult time deciding what to title my paper. So, without knowing any better, I went to my mom for advice. She thought for a second, took a drag of her True Blue, and said, "How about 'Everything You've Always Wanted to Know About Susan, But Were Afraid to Ask'?" I said, "OK, I guess. Are you sure? (cough, cough)." "Yes, it's very clever." So I used it. The next day, I took my paper to Mrs. Williams, and she gave me the look that she usually did (which I took as 'adoring', because I'm so smart and charming), and I get an A+ --- as usual.

Flash forward about 15 years and several "Citizen of the Week" awards, and I'm channel surfing at about 2:00 AM one night. And what should I run across but a very funny, and quite racy Woody Allen movie from the 1970s entitled, 'Everything You've Always Wanted to Know About Sex* but were afraid to ask'. And suddenly I realize two important things: 1) my mother (whom I love dearly (just in case she's reading this)), had absolutely no idea that it's not appropriate to send her 10 year old child to school with a paper that's title uses a play on words from a Rated R movie (Did I mention that we lived in a green house with a big white door, and that her alternative title was, "Susan Vaught - Behind the White Door"? Just kidding, Mom,); and 2) the look of adoration that I always got from Mrs. Williams, and all of my previous teachers, was actually a look of pity. My sister is an elementary school teacher, and she has confirmed this theory for me, based on her own experience of teaching naive, pitiful little children.

So, that's the story of my Blog title, and to some extent, a little bit of the story of me. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

The Jackson 4 said...

I'm so excited about the blog! I LOVE reading Susan stories!