Wednesday, July 12, 2006

If it's good enough for Junichiro Koizumi, it's good enough for the Stockstills!


"I'm going to Graceland, Graceland - Memphis, Tennessee!" That's right, Ray and I are going to Graceland! He has his annual conference in Lexington, Kentucky, next week, and we decided to drive instead of fly. Not that I had an ulterior motive, but it didn't take me long to see that I could easily route us through Memphis. Ray's never had the honor of visiting The King's home, and I've only been once (can you believe it?), about 15 years ago. What, you didn't know I was an Elvis fan? Come on!
This would be a good question for the "Nature vs. Nurture" debate, but whichever the case, my siblings and I never stood a chance! Ever since I can remember, my dad has loved Elvis, and I can remember being a little girl and dancing around to 'Jailhouse Rock' with him and my sister.
In fact, Margaret and I were such faithful worshippers, that we each got suddenly ill once or twice a year when Channel 11-KTVT in Dallas had "Elvis Week". Depending on the forum, Channel 11 would either show an Elvis movie each afternoon or each late night, or both. So you can imagine the excitement at 1412 Ridgecrest Drive when the TV Guide showed up those weeks. We'd scrutinize the listings to determine which day(s) the illness was going to strike. The best bouts with the virus for me would be when 'Viva Las Vegas' or 'Kissin' Cousins' was playing. If I recall correctly, Margaret liked 'Roustabout' (great scene where he sings 'Little Egypt') and 'Double Trouble.' But her all time favorite - for which she would pour on the drama (this included heating the thermometer with a Bic lighter and pretending to have just thrown up) - was the 1969 classic, 'Change of Habit.' This was Elvis playing opposite Mary Tyler Moore. He's a doctor working in an inner-city clinic who falls for a social worker (Moore). The twist is that she's actually a nun! So there's all the makings for a great flic: Elvis, a hot Mary Tyler Moore, helping poor neglected kids, the taboo of the forbidden love, and of course, great songs like 'Rubberneckin'.' Man, you can't beat that!
But, of course, Elvis didn't just make great movies, he made GREAT music. If I had to pick my favorite song, it would be...nope, can't pick just one. So, my top 5 favorites (in no particular order) are: 'Burnin' Love,' 'In the Ghetto' (Taylor Hicks can stick his version where the sun don't shine!), 'Can't Help Falling in Love,' 'That's All Right (Mama),' 'Viva Las Vegas,' and 'Suspicious Minds.' Okay, I know that was six songs, but I couldn't narrow it down to just five - sue me.
Anyway, the last time I went to Graceland, I was going through a "sullen" phase in my life, so I really didn't make the most of it. But don't worry - I'm gonna make up for it this time. I made my reservations today, and I'm planning to leave Baton Rouge at 3:00 AM Saturday morning to make sure I get there in plenty of time for the first tour of the day.
I hope Ray appreciates it as much as I will. He probably won't, but it'll be okay, because I already told him that I am buying him a pair of Elvis sunglasses that he will be required to wear for the entire trip.
Gotta go get me a Peanut Butter and 'Nana sandwich. Thank you. Thank you very much.

2 comments:

Puppy Love said...

I recently caught Flaming Star for the first time....pretty good acting and a great storyline, too!

Anonymous said...

So you like peanut butter and banana sandwhiches too? You're the only one outside of my immediate family that I know that likes those!