Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sympathy Diabetes?

I think everyone has heard of the term "sympathy pains". It's most commonly thought of when a woman is pregnant, and her husband (boyfriend, significant other, sperm donator, etc.) seems to experience the same or similar feelings that she is experiencing. According to "the Internet" there are these things called mirror neurons:

Mirror neurons are a layer of brain cells which act as a reflection, both of our own actions and moods, and of actions and moods which we observe. In the cases where people report feeling "sympathy pains", there is some evidence that the firing of the mirror neurons is actually having a real effect on the neurotransmitters released in the brain. There is no way that the observer can possibly feel something with the strength or immediacy of the principal individual, but it is entirely possible to provoke something of a "pain" response through such signaling.


OK, maybe and maybe not. But let me tell you what's happening with me.


Ray was recently diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2. This basically means that his body's insulin is not reacting correctly in the way it maintains his blood sugar. Having high blood sugar can be a dangerous thing, leading to blindness, loss of limbs, stroke, and even death. In order to learn how to manage his condition so that he can continue to count to 10 using his toes, he had to attend 3 half day sessions at Ochsner. As the loving and devoted wife, I, of course, went with him. And I'm glad I did. It was very interesting and informative from the standpoint of both a diabetic's wife and a lifelong fatty. The dietician gave us some really good and easy to use methods of eating in a more healthy manner, and we've been really working hard to put them into practice. We've also kicked up the level of exercise we're getting on a daily basis - which is an important way to manage your body's use of insulin. So, with all of this, slowly but steadily Ray's blood glucose readings are coming into a normal range, and a little bit of weight is coming off of both of us. The "normal" range for a fasting blood sugar reading should be between 70 and 100. The first day we went to the pre-class appointment, they gave us both blood glucose meters. Ray's reading was something like 150 and mine was 84. 84 - hot damn! I literally jumped up and down in the office in front of the nurse (really). I figured with all of my girth and inactivity I was going to be a diabetic for sure. But, nope, it was 84 and I was as happy as could be - I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face for the rest of the doctor's visit.


So now, with all of this healthy eating (I've eaten more fish in the past 2 and 1/2 weeks than I've eaten in my entire life, and we've now moved into the realm of soy burgers, "chik'n" and breakfast wraps - yummy); the increased exercise (I'm swimming between 30 and 60 minutes each day 6 times a week); and the continued monitoring of my blood glucose, you'd think I'd be one healthy human, right?


WRONG! For the last 2 mornings, my blood glucose readings have been 108 and 120, consecutively. Now, maybe this morning was due to the fact that I had 2 frozen strawberry margarita's at Outback last night, but I don't think so. I think that Ray, my good for nothing husband, has given me diabetes. That's right, the bastard has figured out that diabetes is like a cold - if you can give it to someone else, you won't have it anymore. Because, boys and girls, guess what Ray's reading have been the past few mornings? 90, 90, and 101. He hasn't seen the northern side of 115 in I don't know how long.


So when we have to go back for the follow-up with the Diabetes Educator in October, I guess I may as well have her sign me up for the program. The only positive note that I can give to this situation is that, as I did this morning, I can now say to Ray at any point in time, "I'm in a pissed off mood, and it's because of my diabetes, so leave me the hell alone!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Ray is switching the test strips. You know your not to swift when it comes to those kinds of things. How do you think that Scott and I had the same Physics grade as you.

Todd

suse said...

I thought maybe you guys just had a "special" relationship with Mr. Cate!

The Jackson 4 said...

Rick and I have sympathy fat - when one of us eats, the other eats. I'm still trying to figure out sympathy healthy....

Anonymous said...

As I read this post I was eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream, I'm ashamed!

Puppy Love said...

Gosh, I hadn't thought of Mr. Cate in years....

Good for you, Suse, you'll be so healthy and skinny in no time at all!